By George Emuron
BUKEDEA: A total of three secondary schools in Bukedea district have conducted the sickle cell trend screening of learners in the district.
The screening exercise was launched on Friday by the ministry of central health public laboratory aimed at preventing and creating awareness to the young generation on the dangers of sickle cell disease.
Robert Otim, the lead person says among the three screened schools include Bukedea Life line, Bukedea comprehensive academy and Bukedea secondary school.
He says the sampled screened schools would be taken to the public health laboratory and those who are positive of sickle cell would be handled by the ministry.
‘’We are here today screening students on sickle cell trends but not testing for sickle cell, so far we have sampled three secondary schools since we started the screening yesterday’’, said Otim on Friday.
Otim also added that the ministry of health came up with this initiative following the threats of sickle cell majorly in Teso sub region.
Latif Amagu, the head teacher of Bukedea comprehensive academy says the screening exercise is of high value to the young generation.
He says this would now help future generations to identify their family partners which enable them to produce children who are not suffering from sickle cells.
However, among the screened students during an interview disclosed that, it’s the first time of its kind for them to carry on sickle cell screening.
Do you have a story in your community or an opinion to share with us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org