By UG Reports

GULU: The Police in Gulu are investigating circumstances sorrounding the death of two students following a violent strike at Gulu Central High School in the center of Gulu City last night leaving many more seriously wounded.

An eye witness who asked not be identified told our reporter that the violent strike started after the school administrators rejected plea from students to broadcast the Manchester City and Manchester United game which ended 4-1 in favour of Manchester City.

The Bwonagweno village local chairperson Alfred Otema, where the school is located told our reporter that the unrest at the school started when the students started pelting the roof with stones demanding that the match be broadcast.

Otema said that some students leaders, security guards and teachers attempted to calm down the students in vain, prompting the management to calls in the Police which angered the already charged students and the situation escalated when rowdy students charged towards the Police officer who responded by firing teargas.

According to Otema, this didn’t help, forcing the Police to call in the army for reinforcements and the joint security then used live ammunition, hitting two students and explains that one of the students who was shot had climbed a mango tree in the school compound while the other was running for dear life.

The Aswa Police Spokesman Patrick Ongom however declined to release the identity of the students saying their next of kin have not been informed.


One of the neighbours of the school said that the rowdy students continued pelting the school premises with stones and destroyed the school bush.

He said that several students sustained deep cuts and wounds and were profusely bleeding while trying to jump over the barbed wire fence and two girls fell unconscious as they tried to evade arrest during the commotion, which lasted over two hours.

The Police towed the destroyed school bus registration number UAP 084 U to Gulu Central Police station and the security has maintained its heavy presence at the school premised to stop further vandalism of the school property.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button